ERIE CIVIC MUSIC ASSOCIATION HISTORY 1929-2010
Erie Civic Music Association had its beginning in 1929 with a handful of local music lovers who wanted the community to enjoy quality concerts at affordable prices.
In 1950 Erie Civic Music Association was incorporated as a 501© non-profit charitable organization by the court of common pleas of Erie county. Its first official office was located in downtown Erie, PA at 605 Palace Hardware Building.
The main purpose to which it was formed was to present a series of at least 3 concerts on an annual basis by outstanding artists, musical organizations or non-profit educational and civic basis.
From small recital halls to increased seating at Tech High School auditorium and finally to the Historic Warner Theater with a seating capacity of 2,300 to hold our annual 6 concerts.
Over the past 50 years Erie Civic Music Association has seen tremendous growth in its season membership holders. In 2005 an historic all time season memberships of 1,650 was achieved. Under the leadership of past presidents Stu Deaner, Rodney Blystone and Tom Fuhrman our goals have been achieved in our community. Garlon "Butch" Newcomb has made a commitment to carry on this tradition
This season Erie Civic Music Association will celebrate its 83rd anniversary to our community
with another outstanding line up of International known talent. Our dedicated slate of Officers and Board will assure that we continue to grow and provide top quality concerts for years to come.
All officers and directors are non-compensated in any form and volunteer their time exclusively for our Erie community. Our commitment to the community is to bring top quality concerts and continue to make them affordable to any one to attend.
Rodney Blystone III
Lisa A. Newcomb